Darius Rucker released When Was the Last Time, his fifth solo album, today. The LP features twelve tracks, including the hit single “If I Told You." While it's nearly impossible to pick, this very well may be Rucker's best album yet.
“If I Told You," written by Shane McAnally, Ross Copperman and Jon Nite, recently became Rucker's eighth country music No. 1 song.
The first track on the album, “For The First Time," asks “When was the last time you did something for the first time?" In keeping with song's theme, the GRAMMY-winner has been attempting new things in the days leading up to When Was the Last Time's release.
Watch him try yoga for the first time, below!
Rucker also tried his hand at singing on a street corner on Nashville's famed Broadway with Tennessee Titans players, Ryan Succop and Ben Jones. He even went and had a psychic reading.
Track 3, “Life's Too Short," was penned by Copperman, Nite, and The Cadillac Three's Jaren Johnston.
“[It] was so fun to sing. It's just a country tune, a simple ole country tune about what we're talking about… life's too short to not enjoy it!" Rucker says. “One of the things I love about the song is the imagery of it is so vivid and we've all lived it. We all go out and we try to party party that way, and have fun that way, and live life that way… life's too short, man. Live it."
Another favorite for Rucker is “Don't," track 5.
“'Don't' was one of those songs that made me sit back and think about my life. I love singing it, I love listening to it, and that's where you wanna be… I can't imagine anything I couldn't love you through – that's what it's about," he says.
Rucker kicked off him album celebration last night by checking off a major item on his bucket-list: playing at Harlem's historic Apollo Theater. He performed many new songs from the album, alongside older career hits and even some Hootie & the Blowfish songs.
Photo Credit: Vladislav Grach
When Was The Last Time track listing:
- “For the First Time" (Darius Rucker, Derek George, Scooter Carusoe)
- “Bring It On" (Ross Copperman, Ashley Gorley, Dallas Davidson)
- “Life's Too Short" (Copperman, Jon Nite, Jaren Johnston)
- “If I Told You" (Copperman, Shane McAnally, Nite)
- “Don't" (Adam Doleac, A.J. Babcock, Pete Good)
- “Twenty Something" (McAnally, Nite, Zach Crowell, Josh Osborne)
- “Straight to Hell" with Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and Charles Kelley (Kevin Kinney)
- “Count the Beers" (Rucker, Dean Dillon, Josh Thompson)
- “Another Night With You" (Rucker, Dillon, Josh Thompson)
- “Hands On Me" (Copperman, McAnally, J.T. Harding)
- “She" (Chris Tompkins, Rodney Clawson)
- “Story to Tell" (Copperman, Gorley, Rucker)