If Alex Williams isn't on your radar yet, now is your cue. Recently named one of Rolling Stone's “10 New Country Artists You Need to Know," Williams is quickly establishing himself as a force to be reckoned with in Country Music.
Born and raised in Indiana, Williams risked it all by dropping out of high school to pursue his music career in Nashville. He got his first local gig at Tootsie's in Downtown Nashville. Not long after, Williams landed a record deal with Big Machine Label Group's Big Machine Records. Recently, Williams has been playing shows, writing, and recording his forthcoming album.
Williams's debut LP, Better Than Myself, comes out this Friday, August 11. Two songs have been pre-released from the album: “Little Too Stoned" and “More Than Survival." While most of today's country music is heavily influenced with pop undertones, Williams offers a more traditional sound that pairs nicely with his deep voice and southern drawl. His sound makes it no surprise that his leading influences are Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson.
Get a taste of Williams' music by watching his cover of “A Man Like Me" by Roger Miller in the video below:
In an interview about his upcoming album with Rolling Stone, Williams said, “I knew that I wanted to make a really Seventies-influenced, but with a modern twist, country album. Though keeping in mind that we're not in the Seventies anymore. It turned out really cool – I've always loved the quirky Seventies Austin, Texas, vibe. Some of my family lives down in Texas and I have a passion for that culture and the music and everything about it. I wanted to channel the spacey, laid-back country approach.“ Luckily, we don't have to long to wait long for new music from Alex Williams.
Look out for Better Than Myself this Friday, August 11, and preorder the album here.
Better Than Myself track list from Big Machine:
1. “Better Than Myself" (Alex Williams, Greg Becker)
2. “Hellbent Hallelujah" (Alex Williams, Neal Coty, Jimmy Melton)
3. “More Than Survival" (Alex Williams, Marshall Altman)
4. “Freak Flag" (Alex Williams, Marshall Altman)
5. “Week Without A Drink" (Alex Williams, Brandon Kinney, Jimmy Yeary)
6. “A Little Too Stoned" (Alex Williams, Greg Becker)
7. “Old Tattoo" (Alex Williams)
8. “Strange Days" (Alex Williams, Marshall Altman)
9. “Pay No Mind" (Alex Williams, Greg Becker)
10. “Can't Get Enough Of You" (Alex Williams, Marshall Altman)
11. “Few Short Miles (Bobby's Song)" (Alex Williams)
12. “Last Cross" (Alex Williams, Greg Becker)